Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pacific Rim: Otachi

Oh wow, it's been a long time since I actually updated this blog.  Though... I haven't done many projects so there hasn't been much to update with!  But I did do a fairly big one late in the summer of last year.  I took on a Kaiju!


When Pacific Rim came out last year I became completely enamored with it.  Just.  I absolutely loved it!  Giant robots... giant monsters... what more could one ask for?


The answer to that is of course, a crochet kaiju!  I chose the kaiju that got the most screentime: Otachi.  She's kind of like a flying-lizard-ninja or something.  Absolutely fab.


Of course there were no patterns to follow at the time so I just... winged it.  ;) It is one of my bigger projects, as I've said before.  I actually did a draft of Otachi before hand resulting in my room being littered with various kaiju parts... much like a certain scientist.


She took quite a while to make.  And physically she's one of my largest amigurumis to date.  While not too complicated she does have a couple tricks.  Toes. Those crocodile scales on her back. Moving joints in her wings.  All a challenge.


But she turned out fantastic!  And fabulously floppy, she's a joy to play around with, and a good travel companion.


I also went out and got some nice yarn for her.  No Red Heart for mama Otachi.  I forget the brand but it was a nice pretty wool. uwu


Now, part of the process of amigurumi is simplifying the design of the intended product.  I can certainly say she's been simplified!  The real otachi has so many spikes and glowy spots... I tried to capture the overall feel with the more prominent ones.  The parts that helped make Otachi's design feel so awesome.


Still... there were sew many parts to so on!  Of course this is probably because of those dang blue spots.  I could of embroidered them on... but I'm not comfortable with my embroidery skills.


She turned out absolutely fantastic!  She's been my pride for almost a year, and I still think she's one of my most daring projects.  Big mama Otachi.

10 comments:

  1. This is still the best thing I have ever seen. It is for sure on my to do list once I find some suitable yarn... :) Keep being awesome! Maybe tackle Knifehead for the sequel? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's gorgeous! I'd love to buy the pattern if you have it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!! Now I absolutely have to watch Pacific Rim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Do you have the pattern for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son is obsessed! Would you be willing to sell the pattern so I can make him one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! My husband would love this! Do you have a pattern available?

    ReplyDelete
  7. would really appreciate the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love the pattern for this if you still have it! I want to make one of these to go with my Newt cosplay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you still selling this pattern...I love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont suppose you have the pattern available to buy?

    ReplyDelete