Thursday, October 16, 2014

Toothless Amigurumi

DRAGONS!!!


If you know me, it doesn't take long to figure out that my favorite movie is How to Train Your Dragon.  Hands down.  So I was stoked about the sequel!  And I'm still stoked about it because HTTYD 2 was fantastic!




What better way to celebrate the second movie than with a Toothless crochet?  I've made a plush, I've made someone else's pattern, and now I've made my own version of Toothless!


II pretty much based the design off of my Otachi design.  Only, instead of separate pieces for the body, head, and tail... I did it in one fell swoop.  


The wings... were a pain to figure out.  My eternal war against crochet wings!  But heck if they don't look good.  


I normally don't write patterns down, but for the wings I kept detailed notes.  It was a good thing too!  The tail fins and the... mid wings(?) are basically shorter modified version of the wings so those notes came in handy.  The skull on the tail fin is painted on.


All the spikes on his back and tail are surface crocheted.  This was a much better choice than individually making each spike and then sewing them on.


Eyes are made of felt and sewn on.  I used Malabrigo - Pearl Ten, and it took three skeins.  Three.  That's the most yarn I've ever used!  I had to run out and find another skein, and luckily the store had the same dye lot, as I'd bought the yarn a couple months prior.


He stands on his own!  I love it.  I love him.  This is certainly my best project to date!

3 comments:

  1. As always, your work is amazing. Congrats on such a cool pattern and Toothless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I couldn't find your pattern here. Where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I couldn't find your pattern here. Where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete