Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chupacabra Sculptures

HAPPY CHUPACABRA DAY.

This is not a holiday that is entirely fictional and made up by myself and a few friends, it is incredibly important and many people have knowledge of this holiday and celebrate it every year on the 22nd of September.  In case you are wondering how you celebrate Chupacabra Day it is by being crafty and making chupacabras!  This year I decided to go with sculptures!


I've always designed my chupacabgras so be some kind of mixture between a coyote and a kangaroo.  There are various reasons.  They can have a variety of horn shapes and fur colors/patterns, and sometimes I'll give them wings or spines.  It depends on how I'm feeling.


Normally, though, I don't give them such long tails.  It was a necessity in order to get these chupas to stand.  I couldn't manage to balance them on just two legs.  I guess these are just a long-tailed variety of the chupacabra.


This guy gave me more trouble than the spotted chupa.  He wouldn't balance with a pipe cleaner tail so I had to add on a clay tail and cook him in the oven again.  However he fell over, so I had to redo it again. This time the tail broke off... in the end I just glued it on and hope for the best.


These guys are made from Sculpy on a tin-foil-and-floral-wire base.  They're painted with acrylics, and then a layer of varnish to make them look glossy.

No comments:

Post a Comment